Nissan has releases the Pivo 3 concept, which will be unveiled at the Tokyo Motor Show in next month.
The exterior design proposes a new direction, leaving the round surface language for a more “serious” and aggressive treatment made of sharp edges and angled surfaces, which is more in line with the current trends.
A good size for tight cities, the Pivo 3 is just three metres long and has a wide-enough steering angle to allow you to make a U-turn on a road that's just four metres wide. It has a zero turn gap, so if the front wheels can make the turn, the rear wheels will follow without scraping the body side.
Inside, the cabin is elegantly equipped with premium leather, metallic trim and a digital instrument cluster. There's also a McLaren F1-style seating arrangement which doesn't look very comfortable.
The driver-focused interior incorporates side-view monitors (which take the place of mirrors), Nissan’s Around View Monitor system that minimises blind spots, and an ultra-wide display for GPS and other information.
Highlights of the Nissan Exhibit at the 2011 Tokyo Motor Show
YOKOHAMA, JAPAN (November 8, 2011) - Nissan Motor Co., Ltd., will present a selection of new production vehicles, prototypes and three concept cars at the upcoming 2011 Tokyo Motor Show.
Highlights of the show include:
- Three concept EVs: PIVO 3, a smart urban EV of the near future; ESFLOW, a pure EV sports car; and TOWNPOD, a cross-genre EV for business or leisure
- Smart House of the Future: Enables electricity supply from Nissan LEAF, solar panels and fuel cells
- Next-generation light commercial van prototype: All-new NV350, delivering improved convenience and styling
- Special advanced technology exhibit displaying Nissan's latest innovations in zero emission mobility and safety.
An overview of the concept cars and technologies to be exhibited are as follows:
PIVO 3 - The smart urban commuter EV of the near future
- Automated Valet Parking (AVP) enables PIVO 3 to automatically drive, locate a parking space and park without driver assistance in the infrastructure equipped parking lots envisioned for the future. It can also charge itself and return to its driver at the AVP exit when called by smartphone.
- Compact 3-seater body under 3-meter long, narrow-tread rear tires and IWM (in-wheel motors) with wide steering angle allows PIVO 3 to make a U-turn on a road only four meters wide. The highly maneuverable PIVO 3 has zero turn gap, so if the front wheels can make the turn, the rear wheels will follow without scraping the body side.
- Refined exterior styling with bold surfaces and a new stance.
- Controls integrate seamlessly with high-grade interior.
- Central driving position provides a totally new driving experience.
- Realization of near future mobility that not only links car and driver but also connects the car to the community with sustainable energy.
- World debut made at the Geneva Motor Show in March 2011.
- Pure EV sports car concept offers an exciting new dimension in sports car handling and performance, using technology pioneered in Nissan LEAF.
- Rear-wheel drive two-seater configuration.
- Two independently controlled midship-mounted electric motors, each driving a rear wheel, with active optimization of vehicle dynamics and driving feel suits individual preferences and road characteristics.
- Laminated lithium-ion batteries mounting position engineered for ideal front-to-rear balance.
- Dramatic styling with wrap-around windscreen for enhanced visibility over low hood made possible by EV package.
- 0-100km/h (0-62 mph) in under five seconds.
- Over 240 kilometer (150 mile) cruising range on one charge (US LA4 mode).
- Unveiled at the Paris Auto Show in September 2010.
- Fashionable and functional vehicle flexibly adapts to user needs.
- Exterior melds stylish coupe and roomy van design elements.
- Engaging front seat styling. Rear cargo space is functionally designed for professional utility, including rear seat storage area in back of front seats.
- Three split doors and a split open sunroof ease access in tight spots while greatly improving loading/unloading convenience and ability to carry taller objects.
- Touch-screen display links to driver's smartphone to provide convenient support for busy professionals.
- Zero emission mobility offers guilt-free driving enjoyment for the environmentally conscious user.
- Improved fuel economy.
- Contemporary exterior styling expresses solid presence.
- Functional interior styled to emphasize spacious feel.
- Keyless pushbutton ignition, a world's first in a commercial vehicle. Nissan Intelligent KeyTM, dash-mounted shift lever and foot-operated parking brake also exceed expectations in the LCV category.
- Cargo area up to 3 meters in length, 50:50 split fold-forward rear seats, and embedded mounting nuts in interior side panels provide flexible cargo handling and adaptability to user needs.
- Japanese market launch scheduled for summer of 2012.
- ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY - Toward Zero Emission Mobility
- Nissan's EV technology offers exciting new benefits exemplified by the Smart House of the Future and EV-based Smart Community, which will be introduced using motion displays.
NSH-2012 Smart House of the Future
Nissan will display its Smart House "NSH-2012", an implementation of the "LEAF to Home" (V2H*) electric supply system, which uses power stored in Nissan LEAF's batteries. The Smart House combines solar panels, fuel cells and Nissan LEAF's batteries to maintain a steady power supply to the home, independent of weather conditions. Even during a power outage in a disaster, solar power and Nissan LEAF batteries can continue to supply the home with electricity.
* V2H stands for "vehicle to home", that is, supplying electricity to the home from power stored in an electric vehicle's batteries.
EV-based Smart Community
A broader application of the "LEAF to Home" electric supply system, Smart Communities integrate renewable energy and a bi-directional electric grid to enable new lifestyles. Motion displays show how EVs make this possible in three contexts: homes, buildings and communities.
Next-generation mobility with PIVO 3
A multi-media presentation of PIVO 3 functions, such as Automated Valet Parking, which link to the "smart city" infrastructure of the future and use cloud computing to enable intelligent and convenient next-generation mobility.
PURE DRIVETM - Boosting fuel efficiency with a suite of technologies
PURE DRIVETM is Nissan's initiative to boost environmental performance in conventional-fuel powertrains. Cutaway models and videos will introduce PURE DRIVETM technologies including clean diesel, hybrid, stop/start system and XTRONIC CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission).
Nissan Safety Shield - Towards zero fatalities
Nissan has set an ultimate goal of reducing the number of automobile accident fatalities or serious injuries involving its vehicles to substantially zero. Nissan's Safety Shield concept defines pre- and post-crash conditions to guide the active development of technologies to address safety all around the vehicle. Nissan will introduce nine technologies by the end of 2011 to create a virtual "Safety Shield" for our customers. Video presentations and interactive displays will illustrate these innovations.