Mazda has added a new micro-mini tall wagon to its lineup in Japan with the release of the Mazda Flairwagon. It’s essentially a rebadged Suzuki Palette, and the vehicle is also rebadged by Nissan as the Roox.
The cabin of the Flairwagon measures 1,365 mm (53.74 in) high and 2,070 mm (81.49 in) long, with the luggage compartment just 535 mm (21.06 in) off the ground for easy loading and unloading. Mazda says the split-dive down rear seat can be folded almost flat to create enough room for a 27-inch bike. There’s also a passenger side under-seat box and an upper glove box that uses air from the air conditioner to function as a cold storage space.
Three variations of the Flairwagon are offered; LS, XS and TS, with all models available in either front- or all-wheel drive. All are powered by a 660cc DOHC engine with a continuously variable transmission (CVT), however the TS scores a turbo as well. Fuel economy ranges from 4.8 to 5.8 litres per 100km based on the Japanese JC08 mode test cycle.
Design cues on the Flairwagon include a snub-nosed front end and a boxy silhouette accented by cat's-eye headlights. Typical of the class, the four-passenger vehicle also features minivan-like touches, including sliding doors and a low step-in height. Amenities include a glovebox that can be used for cold storage.
As for fuel economy, it ranges from 17.2 km/l for the TS Turbo right up to 22.2 km/l for the IS Limited VVT. Prices in Japan range from 1,212,750 Yen to 1,499,400 Yen (US$15,300-18,900).
Mazda Launches All-New 'Mazda Flairwagon' in Japan
- Introduction of a tall-wagon rounds out Mazda's micro-mini lineup -
HIROSHIMA, Japan-Mazda Motor Corporation today announced the addition of a new micro-mini tall wagon to its lineup. The Mazda Flairwagon goes on sale today at all Mazda, Mazda Anfini and Mazda Autozam dealerships throughout Japan.
The Flairwagon can comfortably accommodate four adults. It provides ample headroom, and the cabin length ensures that even the rear seats offer plenty of room. Sliding rear doors on both sides and a low rear step ensure passengers can easily get in and out of the car even in tight parking situations. Features of the Flairwagon have been designed for comfort and ease of use. Rear seats can be folded away with ease and an upper glove box located in front of the passenger seat can be used for cold storage.
The special edition IS Limited Flairwagon, introduced at the same time, comes equipped with an idling stop system and achieves an outstanding fuel economy of 22.2 km/L (JC08 mode test cycle).
Main features of the all-new Mazda Flairwagon
Spacious and user-friendly design and packaging
- A stylish design with a high and long roof that conveys comfort and stability.
- A high roof and long wheelbase allow a spacious 1,365mm high and 2,070 mm long cabin.
- A front bench seat and dash-mounted shifter make it easy to move between the driver's seat and the passenger's seat.
- Getting in and out is easy thanks to a large rear door opening (580mm x 1,230mm) and low step (340mm - FWD model).
- The luggage compartment is only 535mm above the ground (FWD) allowing for easy loading.
- Split dive-down rear seat can be folded almost flat to create a deep cargo area capable of accommodating a standard 27-inch bicycle*1.
- Five exterior body colors are available; Aqua Veil Blue Pearl Metallic, Bloom Pink Metallic, Silky Silver Metallic, Pearl White and Bluish Black Pearl 3.
Convenient features and equipment
- The Easy Closure function employed in both sliding rear doors automatically closes the door from a half-closed position.
- Power sliding rear door on the left side can be opened and closed by remote control (All models except LS model grade).
- Advanced keyless entry and keyless push button start system allows the driver to start and stop the engine with the press of a button.
- Plenty of convenient storage space including the passenger side under-seat box and an upper glove box which functions as a cold storage space using air from the air conditioner.
Comfortable ride and outstanding environmental performance
- Achieves both powerful driving and excellent fuel economy thanks to the Variable Valve Timing (VVT) engine and a continuously variable transmission (CVT) with auxiliary gear box.
- Idling stop system with Hill Hold Control function contributes to outstanding fuel economy. (IS Limited special edition)
- All Flairwagon models qualify as super ultra-low emission vehicles (SU-LEV) with exhaust emissions at least 75 percent lower than Japan's 2005 standards.